Saturday, January 5, 2013

One Week In

I've failed to come up with a brilliant and exciting topic, but as I'm determined to at least make it one week with my weekly blog post resolution, I thought I'd give an update on how the first week of my "best body ever" resolution went, along with some details of what I am and am not doing.  I won't take the time to put this together as an organized, flowing narrative.  Instead, I'll fall back on my favorite crutch, the bullet-point list.
  • As I mentioned in my previous post, my workout plan is to continue with my running schedule (I pull my training plans from www.coolrunning.com.  To start off the year, I'm working on the Competitive 5K plan) and to add P90X.  In addition, I will watch what I eat.
  • As far as P90X, I didn't purchase the DVDs.  I got the iPhone App for free and purchased all the workouts for $60.  I'm sure I don't get everything that I would from purchasing the whole program, but I feel it will work for my purposes.  Plus, I'm cheap.  My plan is to do the P90X workouts 5 days a week, Monday-Friday.  Oh yes, Tony Horton is annoying.
  • I had taken the last week off from running so when I started on Monday I weighed in at 208.3 lbs (which is up a little bit from where I have been).  This morning, I weighed myself after my run and I was at 201.0 lbs.
  • So this is what my workout schedule looked like this past week

Running (all done on a treadmill this week, I'm not as tough as Jeanell)
P90X
Monday
6 x 440s at 10.5 mph with 1:00 walking at 4 mph in between
Chest & Back + Ab Ripper X
Tuesday
7M at 7.1 mph
Plyometrics
Wednesday
7M at 7.1 mph
Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X
Thursday
10 Hills at 9.3 mph (each “hill” is .12 miles, I run .06 miles at 5% incline, then .06 miles flat.  I usually have to rest at least some.  This week I ran 5, then walked a minute or so, then ran 3, walked, and then the last 2.  I hate hills)
Yoga X
Friday
5M at 8.0 mph
Legs & Back + Ab Ripper X
Saturday
10K (6.2M) at 8.3 mph

  • As far as eating, I've sworn off sweets and soda, but other than that I am not trying to eat or not eat any particular foods.  My big focus has been limiting my helpings at dinner.  Where in the past I was frequently enjoying three or even four helpings, I tried to stay with one.  (I did have two bowls of Jeanell's delicious Zuppa Toscana soup on Wednesday).
  • Wednesday and Thursday my arms and shoulders were as sore as I ever remember them being.  It was to the point where I could barely put on or take off my shirt, couldn't pick scratch my nose.  Even when I went to sleep, it was hard to find a comfortable sleeping position.  Thankfully, the soreness subsided quite a bit on Friday.
  • I'm a little nervous about the time commitment.  This week was pretty light on miles as compared to some of the coming weeks.  There will be days where I'll be exercising for 3+ hours.
  • Overall, I feel good.  My legs are a little bit sore from the legs workout yesterday plus the running yesterday and this morning, but generally I feel good.  We'll see how the next week goes.

No comments: