Monday, December 31, 2012

2013 Resolutions

And by that I mean my resolutions for 2013, not that I have 2,013 resolutions.

I enjoy writing out my resolutions along with some explanation each year.  Gives me a chance to reflect and think about what I want to accomplish and by sharing it with other people, I feel a higher level of commitment.  If it inspires someone else to set some goals for the coming year, all the better.  Without further ado.


  • Physical
My goal for 2013 is to achieve my "best body ever."  I realize this is a purely vain and superficial goal, but...actually I don't even have a "but".  It is what it is.

I've never forgotten a comment my high school Physics teacher, Ms. Vickery, upon seeing a certain photo of me in our yearbook:  "Well, twenty years from now, you'll be able to show this to your kids and tell them this is what you used to look like."  I specifically remember deciding at that time I would look better in twenty years than I did then.

A few years ago, I was not anywhere close to achieving that goal, but I've lost some weight, I've got into the habit of exercising, and I've decided that this year is as good a year as any to try to achieve that goal (even though it's a couple of years shy of twenty years from the aforementioned conversation).

My plan for achieving this goal is to continue with my running as I have since 2010 and to add P90X to try to add some muscle/definition.  I also plan to watch what I eat more than I ever have in the past.  No soda, no sweets, and most-importantly, reasonable portions (both size and number).

And don't worry.  I won't be posting any pictures.

As far as running, I've kind of set in my mind to at some point achieve a 6 min/mile 5K, a 7 min/mile 10K, a 8 min/mile half marathon, and a 9 min/mile full marathon.  (I realize that the 6 min/mile 5K will likely be the hardest to achieve).  Doesn't have to be this year, but I figure it's not going to get any easier as I get older.  I'd also like to beat my brother-in-law Cam in a race at some point (last year he beat me in the Ray Barrus 5K and the Layton Half Marathon).

As far as running generally, Jeanell and I (and Cam and Collin) are signed up to run the Ogden Half Marathon in May.  We have another Mouritsen/Jefferies team for the Wasatch Back Ragnar in June.  Hope to be in Grantsville for the 5K on the 4th.  Jeanell and I have also talked about doing the Top of Utah Full Marathon next September.
  • Mental
I fell off on my reading in 2012 so my goal for 2013 is just going to be to get back to that.  My goal this year is to spend a minimum of 30 minutes per day reading a book.  I typically read history/biography, current non-fiction, and classic fiction.  I've tried reading three books at a time and alternating after I complete each chapter, but I don't think that has worked that well.  I think I'll just read one book at a time and try to alternate genres after each book I complete.  I will first finish Battle Cry of Freedom, then The Long Walk, and then Pride and Prejudice.  After that, I'll reload.

I'll try to stay up on current affairs by reading the Wall Street Journal, the Economist, and the New York Times.

Finally, I'll continue to accept all Scramble challenges from my brother Scott.
  • Spiritual
I plan to focus my gospel study on the Doctrine and Covenants this year.  Toward the end of last year, I had success in simply preparing a Gospel Doctrine lesson for my study each week so I think I will continue with that this year.  If I am able to finish preparing a lesson for that week, I will study the Teachings of Lorenzo Snow or talks from the most recent General Conference depending on the week.  I hope to spend 30 minutes per day on gospel study.

In addition, I plan to have a meaningful fast each month and say prayers each morning and night (I've always struggled with morning prayers).
  • Family
With maybe a little bit of cross-over from "Spiritual", I'd like to have nightly family prayer and scripture study as a family (including completing the Book of Mormon as a family).

I need to do better at spending quality time with my kids.

Most importantly, I need to do a much better job of dating my wife and making sure we are able to spend time together.
  • Social
Two simple goals here:

Write a weekly blog post (I've had this goal before).

Follow the lead of my fellow GHS Class of '95er Travis Tate and participate in an open mike night at Wiseguys.  I don't know that I have the desire to pursue this to the extent Travis has, but I do enjoy telling jokes and trying to be funny, and even though convenient, fast-and-testimony meeting probably isn't the best time to try out new material.  I need to build up more material and fine-tune some of what I already have in order to do this.  I expect it will be later in the year.
  • Career
At the end of 2011, I left Vulcraft where I had been employed for 10+ years and went from becoming primarily a manager of developers to a developer.  I have learned a lot over the past year, but have also discovered that I still have a lot to learn.  A specific area of focus I'd like to have this year is improving my web-development skills.  I plan to spend 30 minutes each day on web development areas (html, css, javascript, jquery), starting with the tutorials from w3schools.


I think that should probably do it for 2013.  As per the usual, most of these will probably be forgotten by Friday, and the rest by Valentine's Day.

But it's still great to start out a new year full of optimism and hope of what can be accomplished.



No comments: