Sunday, April 14, 2024

Caleb

When Jeanell and I were married in May of 2000, she had three wonderful boys from her previous marriage. While I don't remember a specific discussion on the matter, I think we both thought we'd wait a little bit before adding more children to the equation. I had one more year to finish up my bachelor's degree at Utah State and I think we both thought we'd wait at least until I had finished my degree before having more kids.

We lived with Jeanell's parents the summer after we got married, and then in August we moved up to Logan into an apartment in Aggie Village (cinder block walls and no 220v outlet for a dryer, anyone?). Unlike the rest of you parents and your carefully planned families, we got caught up in the fun of the process that results in children and Jeanell became pregnant much earlier than we anticipated, which she announced by leaving the positive pregnancy test sitting on our dresser.

That winter was tough on everyone. The snow and cold were pretty harsh, even by Cache Valley standards. I'd moved Jeanell away from her family and friends for the first time in her life, got her pregnant right off the bat when she already had three little boys to take care of, and then began a busy year of work and school. (This wasn't quite as bad as my great-great-grandpa Mourits Mouritsen, who married two women on the same day in October of 1885, got one of them, my great-great-grandma, pregnant, and then within three weeks was off on a two-year mission to his homeland of Denmark, leaving his new wives to also care for his two daughters from his first marriage. It was a different time).

Despite the challenges of the intervening months, April rolled around and excitement over the birth of our new son was high. We were scheduled to drive down to LDS hospital in Salt Lake City on Thursday. April 12, 2001, and Jeanell was going to be induced (Jeanell's longtime obstetrician, John C. Nelson, was at LDS Hospital, which is why we made the trip to Salt Lake rather than staying in Logan). April 12 is my brother Brent's birthday and he was excited about his new nephew being born on his birthday.

We arrived in Salt Lake and as I recall, for one reason or another, the inducement was delayed. I believe we met Jeanell's dad and he took the boys with him so I was at the hospital with Jeanell's mom, Carol, and sister, Rachel. But somehow my family got the idea that all of the Jefferies were at the hospital and not wanting to be left out, suddenly showed up. My parents and five of my six siblings (I believe Alan was on his mission at the time) crowded into Jeanell’s hospital room. Scott even brought a date because anytime you can bring a girl you've been on a few dates with to the birth of your nephew you have to do it.

I didn't know how any of this worked and at one point, the nurses asked everyone to leave the room so that they could check how things were progressing. I was halfway out of the room, before they informed me that I was welcome to stay.

The night wore on and it became apparent that this was going to be a long process. Eventually, my parents and four younger siblings went home and when Caleb finally arrived at 3:57 AM on Friday, April 13, only Carol, Rachel, Scott, and Scott's date remained. I remember them handing Caleb to me for the first time and me trying to hold him, but I was preettty tired by that time. I think my head nodded a couple of times, which the nurses seemed not to notice, but Jeanell alerted them that they probably should take Caleb back from me for the time being.

And that's how my youngest son, Caleb, came into this world. Sure, he was born on Friday the 13th, but at least he had avoided sharing a birthday with his Uncle Brent.

When he was young and we lived in our first house in Ogden, I was working on my MBA from Weber State and Jeanell was alternating between working swing or overnights at Walmart. It was too difficult to do homework while trying to watch Caleb so I'd just go to bed with Caleb to get him to sleep and then wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning to do my homework.

Caleb loved Monster's Inc and was Sully one year for Halloween. Later, his Grandma Jefferies made him a Mike Wazowski cake, which he responded to with unbridled enthusiasm. I remember him finding some type of cheese sauce and dumping it all over himself. He loved the Johnny Depp version of Willy Wonka and learned all of the Oompa Loompa dances from that film.

I distinctly remember cutting Caleb's PB&J for him one day at our house in Ogden, and him becoming extremely upset. Not understanding what I had done wrong, I tried to get him to explain and finally figured out that he was upset because I didn't cut his PB&J the same way that Jeanell did. Jeanell cut the bread almost all the way through and then pulled the pieces apart, where I had just cut all the way through to begin with. Apparently, this was not acceptable.

Caleb learned at a young age that hitting his mom was not allowed, but he seemed to also learn that hitting his dad was fair game. Throughout his childhood, whenever he would get upset at Jeanell or be angry at something she was telling him, he would hit me. I don't know that I loved this system, but I guess I preferred it to him hitting Jeanell.

When he got a little older and we moved to Elwood, he first started to get into computers. He would play games on Club Penguin, but also built his own web page where he would display screen captures from Club Penguin and talk about the different games. We would give him activities and chores he needed to do to limit his screen time and he would go on runs and shoot baskets in the back yard. The chore that I remember giving him that he did faithfully was watering the trees along the back of our yard.

I don't remember exactly how old he was, maybe four or five, and we took a rode trip with some of the Jefferies family to Klamath Falls, Oregon to see Brian Regan. We drove from Grantsville to Klamath Falls in an RV, which was a 13+ hour adventure in itself. Upon arriving, Caleb was told that the condo we were staying in had a hot tub. He had already changed into his swimsuit and was sprinting out to the back patio where the hot tub was, not realizing that the sliding glass door was still closed. He slammed into the door at full speed. Fortunately, at his size, he did not break the door, but was merely knocked down, giving us all a good laugh.

I coached his Junior Jazz basketball team for many years, where he was always one of my better players, but we didn't always see eye to eye.

When we moved to Grantsville and he started high school, he got more involved in online gaming, and met friends that he has now been gaming with for several years. He met many of them last summer when they all met up where some of them lived in Wisconsin.

I don't know that Caleb loved running, but with his mom's and my encouragement, and his Uncle Scott (Mouritsen) coaching, he ran cross-country all four years of high school. He earned the nickname "Controversial Caleb" when he opined in a class that fruit-based ice creams were "crap."

Since turning 21, he has become the family bartender and enjoys mixing drinks for others in the family. We took him to Keys on Main (a piano bar in downtown Salt Lake City) a year or so ago and he had gone to use the restroom, and came out just as they started playing Bohemian Rhapsody. He ran back to our table and sang every word with a huge smile on his face. Relatedly, he's always a willing participant in our family Karaoke nights.

One of my favorite things about Caleb is the special relationship he has with his little sister Lila, who is almost eight years younger.

He's been working on a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and plans to finish it up next spring.

I love Caleb and am so grateful to have him in my life.





No comments: