Friday, February 8, 2013

If You Done Done It, It Ain't Braggin'

I will forewarn you that this post is primarily bragging.  And it's not even humble-bragging, it's just regular bragging.  If you don't want to read it, that's fine.  No one has you tied to a chair with your eyes taped open.  Plus, since you're already this far, it already counts as a pageview.  So there.

As you may or may not know, I am the oldest (and wisest, and according to my wife, the second-most handsome) of six brothers (and a little sister, whom I love, but this post is about the brothers) and all of us played football for Grantsville High School.  Recently, the Grantsville Gridiron Club was formed and set up a website.  Part of the website allows you to search for All-State players, with data going back to 1927.  Playing with that feature let me see what I already knew, but what seemed more impressive with all the data right in front of me.  Below is a table that summarizes our contributions to Cowboy Football, but first a few disclaimers:

  • I do not believe that accomplishment on the football field trumps other kinds of accomplishment.  It would be even more impressive if we'd all served Church missions, or all graduated from college, or all earned our Eagle Scout (incidentally, not a single one of us is an Eagle Scout).
  • I recognize that a big part of this is just the fact that my parents happened to have six sons, in a row, all spaced between 2-3 years apart.
  • I am not hung up on my high school glory days.  I just think this is at least a little bit remarkable and thought I'd share it.
  • We are not "from Grantsville" (we moved there in 1983) and had no relatives there when we moved there.  Now, we're related to most of the town by marriage, but we had no previous connections.  I mention this for the benefit of those who think you have to have a certain last name to play.  
 Without further ado:



Year
Brother
Team
All-State
1992
Rich*
State Champions

1993
Rich
Quarterfinals
All-State Honorable Mention
1994
Rich
Quarterfinals
1st Team All-State Running Back
1995
Scott*
State Runner-Up

1996
Scott
State Champions
All-State Honorable Mention

Alan


1997
Alan
State Champions
MVP
1998
Alan
Semifinals
MVP

Carl
Semifinals

1999
Carl
Quarterfinals
All-State Honorable Mention
2000
Carl
Semifinals
1st Team All-State Linebacker
2001
Kevin
No playoffs

2002
Kevin
First Round
All-State Honorable Mention
2003
Kevin
State Runner-Up
1st Team All-State Linebacker

Brent


2004
Brent
First Round

2005
Brent
Semifinals
2nd Team All-State Running Back

*Not a starter

  • A Mouritsen has been a member of all three of Grantsville's State Championships (I admittedly played a very limited role on the 1992 Championship Team, but Scott and Alan started on the 1996 team and Alan started and was MVP of the 1997 team).
  • A Mouritsen was on the team for 14 straight seasons and a Mouritsen started on the team for 12 of those 14 seasons, with two of us starting in three of those seasons.
  • All of us achieved at least All-State Honorable Mention and over the 14 seasons, we had two MVPs, three 1st Team All-State, one 2nd Team All-State, and four Honorable Mentions.
  • Alan still holds the state record for touchdowns scored in a career with 77 and most touchdowns scored in a season with 42, and probably some others I can't think of right now.
  • Four of us were three-year starters.
Ok, end of brag.  Thanks for indulging me.

    2 comments:

    melissa ( : said...

    This is awesome. I've always thought the Grantsville Mouritsens were pretty amazing, and now I know they are! ( :

    It makes me want to have 6 boys of my own!
    But I already have two girls... and there's no way I'm having 6 more kids, even if I could guarantee they'd all be boys!

    ( :

    Thanks for sharing!

    Natalie Marie said...

    I loved this. I was always proud of those boys next door!