Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Facebook Credo

So I've been on Facebook for a while now and a little bit surprisingly, I really enjoy it. I like staying in contact with friends that I really wouldn't stay in touch with in any other way. In using Facebook I've developed a mental list of do's and don't's to keep Facebook enjoyable.

Now these are just my personal opinions so don't get mad or offended. While I do think everyone should live the way I think they should, I don't think they have to. Also, keep in mind that my tongue was surgically attached to my cheek years ago so take most of what I say with a grain of salt (for an example, see the previous sentence).

Without further ado:

1. Seek first to entertain. (Sounds like something straight out of Covey).

Isn't that the whole point of Facebook, entertainment? Share funny thoughts, anecdotes, cute pictures, etc. Don't take yourself too seriously. Share things that made you laugh or that amazed you.

2. Try not to offend but not at the expense of being a little bit edgy.

Don't intentionally offend people, but push the envelope a little bit. People can always unfriend you if they don't like your take or your sense of humor. I try not to post things that I think will offend everyone but I will post things that I think could potentially offend one or two. Sue me.

3. Don't use Facebook to tell people how depressed you are or how bad your life sucks or that you're bored.

Trust me, if you're bored, typing it into Facebook isn't going to alleviate your boredom. As a good friend of mine used to say, "There are no boring activities, just boring people."

4. Don't play the games.

Facebook is enough of a time-waster as it is. Don't exacerbate it by spending hours each day playing Farmville. Read a book, get some exercise, better yourself. There's a lot of life to be lived.

5. If you must play the games, please don't send me Game Requests.

6. Do use Facebook to bring awareness to a good cause.

I thought the Wal-Mart Fight Against Hunger thing was great. And other fund-raising efforts for good causes are great as well.

7. Don't re-post anything that includes the phrase "re-post this if...". Like "re-post this if you know someone who is great at kayaking" or "re-post this if you like pizza."

8. Especially don't re-post anything that says "I know most people won't re-post this..."

9. Don't have a cartoon character for your profile pic. You're just helping the pedophiles.

10. Don't post a list of how you think Facebook should be used. Nobody cares what you think.

Touché.

After publishing my initial list of ten, a couple more came to mind:

11. Don't post gripes or complaints about your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, partner. Don't post that you're fighting either. If your relationship is in enough trouble that you truly need some support or advice, reach out to a friend or family member privately.

12. Don't post topless videos of your daughter, even if she is only two.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Can I add?
13. Don't post something vague so that everyone has to ask what you're referring to. I.E. Trying to figure things out...

and
14. Don't add every Dick and Harry as a friend; just because you may have once SEEN them in the hall at school or at the grocery store once doesn't make them a 'friend.'

melissa ( : said...

Your comments on Facebook are our family favorite's... FYI. Rob always says, "Did you see your cousin Rich's post? That guy is hilarious."

And that you are!