Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Few Tips

Because I work in the IT world, people often ask me questions about what computer to buy, how to solve common computer problems, etc. I thought I'd go ahead and share a few tips, tricks, and hidden gems.

If you're looking for a good search engine, jot this url down: www.google.com. While not yet a household name, Google can help you find whatever you are looking for on the Internet with surprising accuracy.

Interested in buying and selling things online, keep this name in mind: EBay. Never used it myself, but I hear that lots of people become millionaires overnight with EBay. I believe my brother Scott used to date someone that had a whole business plan that revolved around selling Guess jeans on EBay. Don't know whatever came of that (or her, for that matter), but I'm sure EBay did it's part.

Still using the Internet browser of the Evil Empire (aka Microsoft). Maybe it's just my crappy computer, but Internet Explorer seems to take forever to load. Give Mozilla Firefox (www.mozilla.com) a try.

Looking for a new PC or laptop, here's a company that you may not have heard of: Dell (www.dell.com). I hear they have some really great deals.

Can't find enough sports news and opinions on the Internet. Give this url a try: www.espn.com. I especially enjoy the columns and podcasts of The Sports Guy, Bill Simmons.

Don't know what a url is? Try typing this address into your Firefox address bar: www.wikipedia.com. From there, you can search the site to find out what a "url" is. Or, thanks to the magic of the Internet, you can just click here. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia created by the collaborative effort of all of humanity. Well, at least all of humanity that has a computer and an Internet connection. Well, I guess you really need to have a lot of time on your hands as well. One thing you don't need is to know what the hell you're talking about. You can add whatever crap you want to any article.

Well, hopefully these tips will help many of you to get more comfortable with the Internet. Let's hope so, because Web 2.0 is already upon us. (I have no idea what that means).

No comments: